Thursday, December 18, 2008

hope.

i got this verse in my email inbox today:

Psalm 33:22:

"May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD,
even as we put our hope in you."

i started thinking about the verse, Jeremiah 29:11:

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

then i started thinking about hope.

it's kinda a funny thing. hope.

i mean, i used to hope for a date on saturday night. or those concert tickets. or a good grade on a test i studied really hard for.

but that's not really hope. that's wishful thinking.

hope is trusting when there is no reason to trust. hope is believing even when you don't see anything happening. hope is Jesus.

let's see:

in the last year, i had hoped for good weather on June 28th. i had hoped for vacation time showing up on my paycheck on time. i even hoped for saturdays off so that i can take that hot date! ;o)

never would i ever think that i would hope for a job. for my husband. for the "bread winner" so to speak. never would i think that we would be in a position, like so many other people, who will struggle over the holidays. never would i think that we would be given something wonderful....a REAL gift from God...only to have it taken away 6 months later.

part of me wants to say that i feel like that woman in 2 Kings 4. she asked for a son, and one was given to her, only to have him become sick, and then die.

verse 28:

"Did i ask you for a son, my lord? Didn't i tell you, "don't raise my hopes"?"

God, didn't i ask you not to raise my hopes?

what happens in the story?

Elisha intervenes, and the son is brought back to life.

God interevenes, and.....

To be continued.

No comments: